Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What DO you do for Disney?


The four of us – Bob and the three dripping river adventurers – turn back towards Forbidden Mountain, heading to Finding Nemo: the Musical. We all liked the movie, and we enjoyed the ride at the former Living Seas on Sunday. Add to that the great things we've heard about this new musical creation, and understandably we’re pretty excited to see it.

Along the way, as we backtrack our steps through Asia, I have yet another CM Moment – this one with a twist. Two college-age guys stop me and ask to see my pins. Roll tape: “Sure, but I’m not a cast member, so I don’t have to trade.”

It’s their response that baffles me. One guy says, “Really? So… what do you do for them?”

I have no idea what he’s asking. “Huh?”

“What do you do for the Disney company?”

I'm baffled. I've basically just denied working for Disney, but these guys are still convinced that I do. They must think "cast member" is just one position, and I must work for the Mouse in some other job.

A number of sharp responses to the “What do I do for Disney?” question flash to mind, the most obvious being "give them my money and visit their parks," but I'm too nice sometimes. (Hey, they're just asking questions, not trying to butt in line like the kid at Soarin'.)

So I clarify that I am a guest, not employed by Disney in any sense. Finally one of them pegs to the lettering on my name badge: “Guest of Honor.” “Oh, so you’re like a special guest?”

“Yep,” I reply. “So special that they sell these to anybody at Downtown Disney for five bucks!”

The two befuddled guys wander away quietly, and we set off again. We're coming, Nemo!

No comments: