Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Not your ordinary Luby's


It’s noticeably cooler outside than when we went into Nemo. The predicted cold front is definitely coming through, which is fine with me. Seventy-degree weather in January just doesn’t seem natural, even though I know I’m in Florida.

Both Flame Tree Barbecue and Pizzafari are on our way to Africa and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Bob, Linda, Becky and Benjamin are set on eating at Pizzafari, while I want to try Flame Tree. Brandon’s on the fence. We agree that I’ll just get my food at Flame Tree and then join them at Pizzafari.

Brandon finally decides to stick with me, so together we walk to Flame Tree Barbecue.

As I wrote, none of us has eaten at Flame Tree before, though I’ve heard good things about it. The lines are about six people deep, but the place is efficient and the wait isn’t long. I end up ordering a barbecue beef sandwich, with some baked beans, while Brandon is enticed by the fruit plate. We also share an order of onion rings.

When the food arrives, I ask the cast member at the counter if we can just carry it, tray and all, over to Pizzafari. I really thought I’d have to leave the tray, but the CM shrugs it off with a quick “Sure,” like it happens a lot. Cool!

We head over to the condiments stand for napkins, ketchup and barbecue sauce, and then start our trek over to Pizzafari, which is almost on the opposite side of the Tree of Life. Brandon’s carrying the drinks, and I’ve got the tray with the food.

I’ve got to say, it’s a really strange feeling to carry a tray of food across a theme park. It’s like I’m in a cafeteria, looking for a table, but I’m passing stores, themed lands, and hundreds of perplexed guests along the way.

We turn towards Camp Minnie-Mickey before entering Pizzafari to avoid the ordering area, which I suspect might be packed with people. A CM is at the Minnie-Mickey turn-off, yelling out that the Festival of the Lion King starts at 1:00. Ooo, I love that show. We saw it in 2003. Let’s see, it’s about 12:30 now… could we stuff our faces in time to see it again?

No comments: