Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Into the Kingdom of the Animals


As we walk towards the gate we pause to admire the Animal Kingdom’s Christmas tree. I haven’t seen the Disney-MGM Studio’s tree in person yet, only in pictures, but this Animal Kingdom tree is my favorite of all the park icon trees. The ornaments are just amazing.

I note that the area music at the entrance is still holiday music, but with an international twist. Brandon calls attention to the African-style instrumental of “Mary’s Boy Child” currently playing. My chorus, the Vocal Majority, just performed that in our Christmas shows and on our new CD – albeit with more of a Caribbean feel to it.

After we’re through the gates and past the Oasis, we for once do not head to the left towards Africa and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Sorry, Wallaby, but there are new things to the right that we want to see more – Finding Nemo: the Musical and Expedition: Everest!

Just then my phone beeps with a text message. It’s Wallaby, who writes that he is on stroller duty for a couple of hours. That actually works great – we won’t be there for a couple of hours at least, so hopefully he’ll back driving by the time we’re ready to ride.

Nemo’s first showing is at 11:30. That should give us time to ride Expedition: Everest, no matter how long the line is.

Forbidden Mountain is looming ahead of us, growing larger by the second. The structure for the mountain had just been topped off when we were last here in 2005, but with the exterior completed – and with us getting so much closer to it – it looks much, much taller. Wow. My adrenaline is flowing just looking at the thing.

As we cross the bridge from Dinoland to Asia, I spot a dad taking a picture of mom & son with Everest in the background. Would he like me to take the picture so he can be in it? He would! They’re all smiles in the picture, and as they thank me afterwards. Honestly, I get just as much of a kick from doing it! This is fun.

Then I barely get two steps away when another man asks to see my pins. I launch into what has now become my “automated spiel” – “Sure, but I’m not a cast member, so I don’t have to trade.” The boys roll their eyes beside me as the man wanders off.

Okay, we’re almost to the entrance to Expedition: Everest. I wonder whether we’ll have to do Fastpass or Standby when we see… is this right? Is a digit missing?

The Standby line time for Everest is only 10 minutes!!!

No comments: