Tuesday, January 1, 2008

It’s Tough to Be… alone


The Standby time for It’s Tough to Be a Bug is showing 15 minutes, but the line appears to be backed up all the way around the Tree of Life. I hope it doesn’t take much longer than the time shown – I’d hate for me to be the one late to our meeting place!

Once in the queue, I feel vulnerable. A lot of people are staring at me, or at least it feels that way. Whatever vibe I give off that makes people think I work for Disney is in full effect here, and I no longer have family around me to help show I’m just a guest!

Overall, it just feels strange to be by myself at a Disney park. I’m a pretty independent guy and like being alone every now and then, but I really miss having someone to talk to. I really admire Becky’s dad, Bob, and his ability to strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere, but I’m not that way. So… I content myself by passing the time writing trip report notes and taking pictures of the incredible carvings in the Tree of Life.

Eventually the stares die down.

The queue moves ahead pretty soon, and I’m inside the loading area for the theater in a little over ten minutes. The one other time I was here, in 2003, we practically walked into the theater, so I didn’t have time to appreciate the bug-themed spoof Broadway show posters hung here. Brandon’s just been to a production of Annie, so I know he’ll like a picture of the poster for “Antie.” I also get photos of “Beauty and the Bees,” “A Cockroach Line,” and “Little Shop of Hoppers”!

The doors open to the theater and I make my way inside. I’ve learned over time that it doesn’t pay to be up close to the doors, since we’re supposed to move all the way across the theater once inside. It stands to reason, then, that the first ones in go all the way across. So, you stand further back from the doors, you get more central seats. Unfortunately, it’s the people with the mentality of wanting the “best” seats that tend to be the ones to push up to the doors to be the first in.

Thankfully that doesn’t seem to be an issue with this crowd, and we slide in. I’m sitting just to the right of center, about halfway back. Perfect.

It’s Tough to Be a Bug still makes me laugh, although I can understand why it freaked Benjamin out back in 2003. It is pretty scary in places, especially with the spiders and the bees.

The “exit” of the bugs at the end is still one of my favorite moments in any of the shows at the parks. It’s such a creepy/funny surprise, and even when I know it’s coming it gives me a big smile.

It just would have been nicer to have someone to share it with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand how it is to be alone, using baby swap my wife and I had to do this quite a bit. It got more comforting, but it is much better to ride with someone you know.