Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Freedom and mixed feelings


We set off down the exit ramp and then gather to discuss our next option. I mention that It’s Tough to Be a Bug did not have much of a wait time when I passed it earlier (carrying my lunch). Benjamin is not at all interested in that, still remembering his one viewing in 2003 when, at age six, it really gave him a scare. Brandon wants to ride
Primeval Whirl. Both Bob & I, who rode it with him on the last trip, say no thanks. Once was enough. And Becky, Linda & Benjamin don’t like spinning rides at all.

Most of the gang just wants to head back to the resort to rest a bit. Brandon and I want one more attraction, but we can’t agree on the attraction. What to do? Well, Brandon is thirteen now, and a very responsible thirteen at that.

Time to take a deep breath and loosen the parental strings a bit. Brandon and I will stay in the park while the others head back to our rooms, and we will let him go all by himself to ride Primeval Whirl, while I watch It’s Tough to Be a Bug.

He’s excited at this newly-granted freedom, which of course comes with many caveats – just that one ride, one time, and not if the wait time is longer than 30 minutes, and here’s your mom’s cell phone, call me on mine if there’s a problem. Can he ride it twice, he asks? Okay, only if the wait time is ten minutes or less.

Before we split apart we take a bathroom break, which I don’t normally draw attention to in this journal, but I experience my next CM Moment in the restroom. Thankfully, I’m “done” and just standing aside waiting on the boys. For several moments I’m looking down at my Passporter as I take notes for this journal, and when I look up a guy is standing close, directly in front of me, scrutinizing my pins. No “hello,” no “excuse me.” It’s a little creepy in the bathroom. Personal space, much? My “not a CM” spiel shoos the guy away.

Once back outside we walk towards the front of the park, and then say goodbye to Becky, Benjamin, Bob & Linda as they turn to head out through the Oasis. A short distance later Brandon and I are near the entrance to Bug, and Brandon and I agree on a meeting place. He turns towards Dinoland without looking back.

I watch him walk off until he’s lost in the crowd, knowing that this is one of those bittersweet milestones as a parent. They just grow up too fast, dang it.

I turn towards Bug and try to bury the thought that he’ll be off to college in less than six years.

No comments: