Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Kali River Rapids


We navigate the totally unoccupied Standby line as it winds through the jungle-like foliage. The path rises and falls, twists and turns. Somehow I don’t think it was designed for power-walking, but that’s what we’re able to do. There’s no one here so far, which surprises me.

The weather is cooler than yesterday, but not cold by any definition, so I can’t imagine that the temperature is keeping people away. The crowds just must be down, like I hoped they would be!

Once in sight of the loading area, we are stunned to see one family loading into a boat, and no other guests! Most of the boats are being sent away empty. Wow! As popular as this attraction used to be – when it was one of few rides in the park – it’s a stunning feeling to be able to walk on it with no wait. Our “riding streak” continues!

Brandon, Linda & I have a boat to ourselves! Bob has followed us through the queue, as promised, just to take pictures. He snaps away, and then heads up the exit, no doubt to find a place on the exit bridge to take pictures and trigger the squirting elephants.

We have ridden Kali River once before, on our 2003 trip (using a Fastpass then to avoid the hour-plus line!). Like then, I have cheap 99-cent rain ponchos from Academy at our disposal, but Brandon & Linda pass, counting on their jackets to keep them mostly dry. I’m not that bold, and I pull my poncho tight around me.

One thing I remember from the 2003 ride is that it doesn’t last long. I had my camera in a Ziploc bag and took pictures, and the ride was over before I’d stopped to enjoy it. So this time, my camera is stowed and I enjoy the ride!

It is much like other river rapids rides, but with better scenery and theming. And yes, we get wet, even me with my pancho. My hood keeps blowing off my head, so I hold it tightly closed around my face – and end up tearing the cheap plastic, so when the cold water falls on my head it runs right down my back!

Great fun.

At the end of the ride, Bob waves to us from the bridge, and takes more pictures. Not sure if he tries to hit us with the elephants, but even if so, they it don’t get us any wetter.

We step out of the boat and up the exit ramp. I am partially dry, and partially soaked. I toss the mangled cheap rain pancho into the first trash bin I find.

No comments: