Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Excuse me, but your Yeti is making us nervous


Bob, Brandon, Benjamin and I – the four who are eager to ride this amazing-looking coaster – bid goodbye to Becky and Linda and enter the standby line.

What line there is constantly moves, and we try to soak in the atmosphere as we go. The theming of the line is incredible. Buildings crafted by real Himalayan builders, decorated to look as if you are on an expedition to the base camp at Mount Everest. We pass through an outfitter’s shop. Yeti symbology is everywhere – after all, the story of the ride is that a train line has been built to the Everest base camp, but it passes through Forbidden Mountain, said to be the lair of the Yeti. We even pass through a Yeti museum along the way.

It all gives a creepy, ominous feeling, and Brandon is getting more and more nervous as we move along. He actually loves thrill rides – loves them – but he is more fearful of the unknown, and can really psych himself out of things. And so, being the warm, loving dad that I am, I find it really fun to push his buttons. I offer to take his picture – “one last picture of you so I’ll remember what you looked like.”

Brandon is not amused.

I try not to push it too far – I don’t want him to back out, after all – so I’ve stopped my “doom & gloom” comments before we reach the loading area. Brandon’s settled himself down and steeled his courage.

And then we pass this meek looking Indian cast member where the Fastpass and Standby lines merge. As he waves us through to the loading area, he is looking at the boys with the saddest expression I’ve ever seen – near tears, almost – and saying, “So young, so very young,” as if he is sending them to certain doom!

It is perfect. We nearly fall over laughing.

I love Disney.

The four of us are shown to the loading gate for two consecutive rows in the middle of the train. We’re about to ride!!

No comments: