Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Magic in Motion?


Hmm. I just remembered that this will be our first time to take transportation other than the monorail (not counting the Disney’s Magical Express bus that got us here) even though we’ve been at Walt Disney World almost two full days. I do like staying at a monorail resort!

At 9:02 a bus rolls up showing the Animal Kingdom as its destination. I note from the number on its door that it is bus number 4745. That number may not mean anything to you – and it barely means anything to me – but I have friends now who are current and former WDW bus drivers, and there have been many discussions online about the pros and cons of specific buses. I’ll want to know which buses I’ve been on in case the subject comes up.

Thinking of former bus drivers reminds me of Big Wallaby, who now works at the Animal Kingdom at the Kilimanjaro Safari Ride. He’s supposed to be working there today – maybe we’ll get to ride on his truck!

As we settle in for the bus ride, another reminder of Wallaby is our first experience of the new “Magic in Motion System,” or MIMS, which was the bane of his existence in his last months as a bus driver. It is an automated spieling system, giving announcements as the bus moves from place to place, welcoming passengers upon arrival at their destinations. It sounds a lot like the automated announcements aboard the monorail. Wallaby and some other drivers did not like it because they enjoyed interacting with the guests, which MIMS no longer allows.

My first impression of it is mixed. It is better – far better, even – than a bus where the driver does not interact, which sadly has been the rule rather than the exception on previous trips. But it is impersonal, and the times we’ve had a bus driver who talked and spieled has been wonderful. So to me, I’d much rather have a spieling driver, but MIMS is better than silence.

After a quick stop at the Grand Floridian bus stop, we cruise quickly to the Animal Kingdom. I use the brief time to text Big Wallaby and tell him we’ll be in his park today.

We’re there and off the bus by 9:25.

No comments: