Monday, December 31, 2007

Soarin'


Soarin'
is awesome! Words can't describe it.

After the ride is finished, we exit out to the... what? You want a description? I just said words can't describe it! How could I possibly... oh, okay. I'll try.

Patrick’s voice clears us for “takeoff,” and suddenly our row of seats swings forward and up. The row that had been in front of us is now above us, their feet dangling at the upper edge of our vision. The screen in front of us fills our view from one extreme to the other, and we are flying past cloud tops with a clear blue sky above us. We gently rock with the picture on the screen as a breeze wafts past.

Instantly the “ride” disappears, and it feels absolutely real.

We are soaring!!! Woohoo!!!!

We break through the clouds to see the Golden Gate bridge below us. From there we swoop and soar all over the state of California – chasing hang gliders in Yosemite Valley, buzzing kayakers on a river and surfers at the shore. We fly seemingly inches above the water, and then just barely clear a mountain ridge. The reality of it is so intense that we instinctively lift our feet up so they don’t get drag in the river or hit the mountain!!!

This is one attraction where there is no way to stay silent. Every one of us cheering and yelling with each new sight, each amazing thrill. The adult in me starts to wonder how they possibly accomplished the incredible photography it took to make this attraction, but the kid in me shushes him so I can just enjoy the experience. I AM FLYING!!!

The only things that interfere with that illusion are the abrupt scene changes – even just a quick jump into clouds and out into the new scene would have been better. Still, the feeling is so intense, so real, that I do not ever want it to end. I’ve never felt like this in my life!

No comments: