Monday, December 31, 2007

Getting from here to there

On the way out of the park, we are slowed momentarily by another CM Moment -- a guy wants to trade for my pins. It’s amazing how many times I’ve already been mistaken for a cast member, and it is only our second day in the parks. Brandon and Benjamin are getting to where they crack up laughing when it happens, and I’ve already lost count.

A little further on, I note that Spaceship Earth is closed. That’s the downside of the “soft opening” stage before a ride is officially open – it can close at any time. I’m glad we rode it this morning.

We pause to photograph some cute topiaries on the Epcot entrance plaza. Goofy is ice skating, Pluto is wearing a Santa hat, and Donald is trying to untangle some lights.

Once out of the gates, we ask ourselves if we should take the monorail? Nah – we decide to shake things up a bit and take a bus back to the Polynesian, since we haven’t yet ridden a WDW bus. My idea, I’m afraid. I thought there were buses to all the resorts, but apparently the monorail is the only route back to the Poly. Which means we have to go back through the bag check to get back to the ramp to the monorail! Not fun when we’re already tired.

Interestingly, the monorail station seems to be closed!! At least the ramp is roped off, and a security guard is blocking the ramp. I’ve never seen that before. I’m guessing it’s because of the crowds.

So… we have no way back to the resort?

I approach the guard to ask him what we are supposed to do. Before I can open my mouth, though, he spots my KTTW card – I’ve switch from my blue Passholder to the Castaway Club lanyard the DCL reps gave us, so the guard can see my KTTW in the clear cardholder at the end of it – and opens the rope. Ah. The monorail is closed to all but resort guests.

Cool! Our own private monorail!

With no crowds competing for the ride, we’re on the next train that arrives, and quickly whisked back to the TTC. We opt to cross over and take the resort loop to get to the Poly, and are soon exiting into the second floor of the Great House. I snare some postcards in the gift shop, and then we head down to our rooms in Rarotonga.

On the way I note the boys point out the window display of the gift shop. It has a Christmas wreath and tree decorated with stuffed Stitches!!! I love it. It's especially funny to us, since this year we made Brandon's stuffed Stitch into a "Stitch angel" as our tree topper at home!

The postcards get tossed on the bed when we arrive, to be filled out later, because the boys and I have another destination – the volcano pool. We’re going swimming!

No comments: