Monday, December 31, 2007

Back to terra firma


Fireworks over Disneyland make for a big finish, and we are let down as Soarin’ comes to an end. (In more ways than one – why did this have to end???) As we descend, this room full of people spontaneously breaks into applause and cheering. I join in – in fact, I’d give it a standing ovation, but we’re not quite back to the ground and I’m still strapped in!

Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow. Wow wow-wow-wow.

We exit quickly to our right and come out by the fastpass machines. Soarin’ is so immersive, so perfect, that for a moment I’m not sure which world is real, this one or the one we just saw. Then a lady with a thick Spanish accent approaches me to ask about wheelchair access for Soarin’. Ah. So this would be the real world, then.

Can I go back to the other one?

I spot a real cast member just a few steps away and direct the lady over to her. We head up the escalator once again, and are out of the Land pavilion, where we’ve spent much of our day. Yep, this is Florida, not California.

I leave finally understanding why someone would wait three hours to ride an attraction. Soarin’ is extraordinary.

No comments: