Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Six, plus one


I settle in to catch up on the day’s trip notes. We’ve got a little more than an hour to rest before we meet Wallaby in front of 'Ohana. Which reminds me, I’d better check my cell phone for messages in case I’ve missed any.

There’s one, a text message from Wallaby sent just before noon. Wallaby asks where we’re going to be today and adds, “If you are getting souvenirs I suggest using your CM friend on his day off.” Wow! He’s offering to let us use his cast member discount! Except… we just bought our souvenirs. Oh, well. That timing could have been better.

Becky’s the only one of us really trying to nap. Benjamin’s in a chair and Brandon’s sprawled on the bed, while I’m sitting up in bed writing my notes. At one point I look over at the kids’ bed and see a long, Brandon-shaped lump under the covers, but with feet on the pillow instead of a head. Kids.

Our rest time passes pretty quickly, and before I know it it’s 5:00 and time to head to 'Ohana.

I’m excited about having Big Wallaby join us for supper, but I have to admit, I’m also a bit uneasy. I mean, apart from chatting with the guy through StupidGuestTricks – and riding on his truck at Kilimanjaro Safaris yesterday – I really don’t know the guy. All of our time at Walt Disney World is limited and special, and besides, 'Ohana is a favorite for us. If the guy turns out to be completely wacko, or just doesn’t fit in with the family, I’ll feel responsible for messing up everyone’s time. (Although it is possible to be a complete wacko and still fit in with my family!)

We climb the stairs of the Great House and cross the second floor lobby, and… hey, there’s our safari driver! This is a bit surreal.

Wallaby smiles and approaches us, and we have our first real meeting, where we’re all able to talk with each other. A photograph quickly follows – the first picture of the Marsupial Welcoming Committee together!

Any uneasiness I felt disappears quickly. Wallaby is relaxed and friendly and fits right in with my crew. We’re all chatting and laughing like old friends in no time.

One last hurdle to clear. I approach the 'Ohana check-in desk, give them my name and reservation info, and say (as suggested by the concierge yesterday), “We’ve had an additional person join our group. Could we squeeze him in with us?”

The check-in cast member scowls at me – literally scowls – but without saying anything to me she passes our group info to another CM who seats us all immediately at a table for seven.

I could have done without the scowl, but at least we’re able to have Wallaby for dinner!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least she didn't unleash an angry platypus!

Wallaby is a good guy, dinner with him, Zazu and SWMBO was fun.