Wednesday, January 2, 2008

All the fun of a cast member, with only slightly less pay


Okay, so I find myself waiting for my family at the exit to Small World. I take a few pictures of the load area, and zoom in as best as I can on my group in the midst of the crowd in the queue below. That takes a couple of minutes. Given the predicted wait time plus the ride time, I probably still have at least 15-20 minutes to kill.

As I’m waiting at the exit area, a family comes up the exit ramp pushing an elderly relative in a wheelchair. The exit has both a turnstile and a gate for chairs, so I hold the gate open for the family as they exit, for which they are grateful.

I keep track of my family’s progress down the loading ramp, but now I’m also watching out for people in chairs exiting the ride. It’s a small way (heh) to pass the time, but at least I’m doing good for someone in the process. Still, I’m a bit self-conscious all the while – I don’t want to appear to be actually pretending to be a cast member. I’m just a guy waiting for my family and holding open the exit gate when needed.

Just to break up the monotony, I step out of the covered exitway briefly to catch some sunshine. And in rapid succession, two people approach me, one with a question, another wanting to see my pins. Sigh. I slink back into the shadows.

After what seems like an extended wait, but in reality is little longer than expected, I see my gang disembarking from their small world boat and coming up the ramp.

I’m glad to be back together with them.

It’s 11:30 and time for lunch – and given that my few bites of Benjamin’s Tonga Toast are far behind me, I’m ready for it. We set out for the Liberty Tree Tavern.

None of us have ever eaten here before. This was Bob’s main dining request as we planned our vacation – he saw it featured on a Travel Channel show and thought it sounded good.

Beyond it being “colonial,” none of us really know what to expect.

There’s a short line to check in, and while we’re waiting we soak in the early American theming, which is completely immersive, both in the details of the restaurant itself and the costumes the cast members wear. It’s pretty cool, especially with the added holiday greenery. And we quickly discover an added feature – when the parties are called, they are announced both by family name and by their home state (or country, as the case may be).

It’s only five minutes or so before we hear a call for the “Randall Family from Texas!” We’re ready to eat!

No comments: