Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Into the Cast Member entrance


In response to Wallaby’s concern about multiple Mickeys, I make an obscure Doctor Who reference in response – it’s just how my brain works – commenting that perhaps Disney could explain it away like the makers of Doctor Who explain the multitude of actors who have played the Doctor and used his “Tardis” time machine. Sort of a “TarDisney.” Wallaby not only gets the reference, but it turns out his wife is big fan of both Doctor Who and Disney, and he thinks I’ve just stumbled into creating his wife’s perfect screen name. He’s so excited about this, he calls her on the spot to tell her.

PhotoPass time! There’s a photographer in front of the Studios Christmas tree, so we have him take a few snaps to commemorate our marsupial night out. I’m glad we do, because it’s so bone-chillingly cold out, I don’t know that I’ll be taking many more pictures. Even with my gloves on, I’m mostly keeping my hand in my pockets. (Note: Cartoon wallaby head added to the image here to protect the innocent.)

Big Wallaby leads the way as we approach the Studios entrance, and he heads to a specific gate marked for Cast Members. Makes sense. The boys and I have our KTTW cards at the ready as always, but Wallaby has his cast member I.D. out. The CM at the entrance takes a look at it and waves Wallaby through the gate. Ah, the dream perk of so many of us Disney park lovers from around the world, and the one thing that draws many people to work for Disney in spite of the low pay – unlimited access to the parks!

Wallaby allows me and the boys a look at his official I.D. card, little knowing that I’m picturing my own name on it. Sigh. Maybe someday.

We’ve got only about twenty minutes until Fantasmic! begins. Normally I wouldn’t think about trying to get a seat in the show this late, but we hopefully have a few factors working in our favor. First, this is the second showing of the evening, the first having begun at 6:30. Typically the crowds for later showings are lower. Second, did I mention the cold? It is bitterly cold out, so maybe that will keep some of the remaining potential audience away from this outdoor show.

We turn down Sunset Boulevard and then turn right into the entrance pathway for the amphitheater. That we’re able to do this is good news, since it would be roped off if the theater were already full.

This is actually my first time to walk down this main entrance. On our only other viewing of Fantasmic! we did the dinner package, which took us to a gate near the park entrance, and a different, “backstage” pathway to the reserved seating area. And we left the theater down the same path, so we’ve never seen the “regular” way of getting to the show.

The boys and I are fans of a lot of the in-park music that is available for listening through the internet, and we smile in recognition of some of the upbeat arrangements of classic Disney tunes used as preshow music along this walkway.

The pathway empties into the theater to the right of the center sections, and… wow. There are people here, but not many. It’s maybe one-third full!

We head to the left, and wind up just one section to the left of center. Wow!! This is going to be a great view. We go just a couple rows down from the top. No sense in giving ourselves more of a climb than necessary on the way out. From this high up we’ll be able to take everything in – and we won’t have any risk of being splashed by the water in the show!! That would be way cold!

No comments: