Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Noteless


I’m arriving at the Magic Kingdom without my PassPorter, which has been my constant companion on these trips. Without it, I can’t take notes, and without my notes, I lose a lot of details for the trip report.

So… we, um, go to the Magic Kingdom, and, um, we… ride some things… and then some other things happen… oh yeah, I think we ate something while we were there… and then we left and went back to the Polynesian.

We return to our room at 3:37 in the afternoon, where I am able to retrieve my PassPorter and resume my detailed note-taking.

Just kidding.

Fortunately, my digital camera has a voice notes feature, so I use it to record information that I’ll want to remember for later. Between these voice notes and the pictures we take, I should be able to keep track of all the details.

We enter the park around 9:30. First order of business is, well, business. Bob & Linda want to add some points to their Disney Visa Rewards card, so we head to City Hall. I’m itching to get back to the attractions, but I do my best to be patient. Especially with Becky shushing my heavy-sighing and watch-checking.

The business doesn’t take too long, and we go explore Town Square a bit. The statue of Minnie Mouse & Roy Disney seated on a park bench is directly in front of the Magic Kingdom’s icon Christmas tree, and makes for a great photo opportunity.

I’m in the middle of reading a very detailed and well-researched biography of Walt Disney right now, and it and many other things I’ve read of the Disney Company’s history give me great admiration for Roy. Walt was the visionary and the public face of the company, but Roy was just as necessary for their success. Walt dreamed the dreams and pushed everyone to produce the best, but Roy got it accomplished and paid for. I admire him even more that he did what he did without all of the public acclaim and recognition that Walt received. Roy and Walt are destined to go down in history as one of the all-time great teams, in business, entertainment, or any field.

We saunter down Main Street, admiring the decorations. It’s an odd feeling for me and the boys. After all, while Becky and her parents haven’t been in the Magic Kingdom before on this trip, this is the third stroll up Main Street for me and Brandon and Benjamin.

It’s just our first in daylight.

And what daylight! Yes, it’s chilly – though not as much as last night – but it is such a beautiful, clear, sunny day! The crowds are not at all heavy, and we’re able to soak in the experience of being here. Cinderella Castle is amazing at night, especially with the new ice lights, but there’s nothing that compares to seeing its spires gleaming in the sun!

No comments: