Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Big Thunder Mountain


We turn towards Frontierland. Jessie from Toy Story 2 is out greeting guests. The boys aren’t sure they want to stop and visit, but we coax them in that direction, if only for the autographs… and Jessie turns to go on a break. Oh well. At least it made the choice for us.

Splash Mountain is showing a wait time of only five minutes. Splash Mountain. Five minutes! Of course, that’s likely because no one wants to get soaking wet in 30-degree weather! I have to say it’s still tempting (mainly for me and the boys), but we take the wiser course of action and keep walking.

Big Thunder Mountain’s wait time is 20 minutes. That’s just fine with us.

Becky’s a little uncertain about doing Big Thunder, since she isn’t fond of roller coasters. I remind her that we rode it together on our honeymoon and she liked it just fine. (It dawns on me that she could have been putting on a brave face for her new hubby, but I really think she liked it.)

We enter the queue and spend most of our time walking straight through it to reach the “crowds.” Our wait is closer to five minutes than to twenty!! I love low-crowd days.

Becky is still wanting reassurance that this isn’t too wild for her, and like with Brandon on Expedition: Everest, I alternate reassuring her with ominous hints of things to come, just to play on her nerves a bit, but I try not to push it too far. I really do think she’ll like it. I would tell her if I thought otherwise.

Once loaded on our train, we start up the first hill and out on our twisty-turning out-of-control train ride. It’s a great ride! Although I cut my teeth on big hairy wooden roller coasters, I think in my “old age” I’m coming to enjoy and appreciate more Disney’s vision of slightly gentler yet themed to the hilt attractions. They’re still a blast, still thrilling, but you don’t feel bruised or disjointed when you finish them.

That doesn’t mean that Becky walks away loving it. She’s okay, but it’s just not her thing.

On the way out, I stop to take a picture “of the last ride I was able to talk her on to.” I get one of these pictures on just about every trip.

No comments: