Sunday, December 30, 2007

Welcome to the World


In spite of the travel delays yesterday, this trip is already noticeably better than the last. In 2005, I started with such a sleep deficit that I felt like I was in a fog the whole time. This time, I’m relaxed, alert, and not even sweating any of the details like I normally do. I’m already enjoying myself thoroughly, and we’re not even to Disney World yet!

The bus pulls out at 9:05. We’re on our way!!!

Before we’re even off of the airport property, a welcome video starts to play on the overhead screens. I settle back in my chair to watch it… only to be interrupted by my cell phone ringing.

Something wrong at home? Nope. The Caller ID reads “Big Wallaby.” (No, literally, that’s what it says. I know him more by that name than his real one, so that’s how his number’s listed in my directory.) We’d exchanged text messages and chatted online, but have never before talked on the phone.

I answer the phone with, “This is Wombat.”

Wallaby identifies himself and says, “On behalf of the other half of the Marsupial Welcoming Committee, welcome to Walt Disney World!”

I laugh and thank him. Turns out he’s working on Kilimanjaro Safaris today but is on his break, and took time out to call and welcome us. That’s awesome. I tell Wallaby we just set out on the DME bus, so his welcome is perfectly timed. He lets me know again when he will be working this week so we can come and ride with him on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

I hang up with a big grin on my face. We’re not even to Walt Disney World, and we’ve already been officially greeted by a marsupial cast member! This is looking to be one memorable vacation.


No comments: