Sunday, December 30, 2007

Turtle Talk


So we’re now in Seabase Alpha, er, I mean, The Living Seas… I mean, The Seas with Nemo & Friends. What to do next? I don’t really care to see the diver in the tube for the Nth time. I’d heard Turtle Talk with Crush was moved to a bigger theater, due to its popularity. Yep, there’s the entrance to our left. Turtle Talk was new when we were last here, but our timing didn’t work out to see it.

Given its popularity, we’re not counting on seeing it now. The cast member out front tells us the wait time is about eight minutes. Eight minutes!? Dude! That’s awesome! (Sorry.)

The wait turns out to be closer to twenty minutes, but there’s quite a bit to see in the holding pen – I mean, waiting area. I enjoy watching the little stingrays flit around in their clear-sided tanks.

Finally we’re able to enter the theater. A large wall shows the ocean floor, with various rocks, and such, and shimmering, clear blue water. At the prompting of a CM, Crush the turtle comes swimming up, taps his flipper on the wall, and exclaims, “Look at all the humans in the human tank!”

Turtle Talk is, well, amazing. I thought I knew what to expect. I thought it would be cool, and innovative. I thought the younger members of the audience would enjoy the show part. I guess I really didn’t expect personally to be all that entertained, but I was wrong! It is a very funny show.

A great moment comes when Crush is talking with a young boy from Brazil named Rafael. Crush asks him what his favorite part of the day so far has been. Rafael answers, “Getting autographs.”

Crush looks puzzled. “Dude, you mean to tell me that you came all the way from Brazil, and the best part of your day has been some dudes writing on paper???”

A short time later, Crush is grilling the kid’s dad, asking him to guess how many “offspring” he (Crush) has.

“Five?” the dad guesses.

“Oh, way more than that, dude.”

“Fifteen?”

“A little more.”

The dad comes back with, “200?”

Crushes eyes fly open wide and his jaw drops. “That is NOT a ‘little more,’ dude!!!”

It’s a great show. I come away marveling even more at Disney’s ability to use cutting-edge technology in really entertaining ways.

Okay, that’s what the adult in me says. My inner kid is marveling that it just got to visit with Crush!!

It’s now approaching 1:30, and since we’re still in Future World and our 2:00 meal reservation is in the France pavilion on the other side of World Showcase lagoon, we figure we’d better move on.


No comments: