Sunday, December 30, 2007

Candlelight Processional


Okay, I may be at a loss for words here. There’s no way I’m going to be able to fully describe the Candlelight Processional in any way that will give even the slightest sense how incredible it is... but I’ll try.

Keep in mind that I both come from and have a musical family, and all six of us here have just recently taken part in some pretty amazing Christmas shows ourselves – me with my men’s chorus, the Vocal Majority, and the other five at our churches. Add to that two other factors: first, it’s five days after Christmas, so the desire to be immersed in Christmas cheer has generally run its course; and second, I tend to be pretty hard to impress. I appreciate a performer’s efforts and can enjoy lots of productions, but it takes something pretty spectacular to really blow me away.

I am blown away.

The sun is low in the sky as we approach show time. We start to see hints of the performers gathering. The orchestra is tuning, robed choir members are congregating at the back of the crowd, preparing to process in. To one side, eight trumpeters pose for a picture, which reminds me that this is the final night of this production – always a special time for performers and audience members alike.

At 5:00 sharp, six herald trumpeters march in from each side of the stage, then turn together and step up the risers. All six are in lockstep, a very precisely rehearsed entrance. Already I’m impressed, and they haven’t played a note.

Then the notes begin. Wow, this is one fantastic orchestra.

Choir members process down the aisles, to the stage, and begin filling the risers behind the orchestra, singing a medley of carols as they go. According to the program, the singers are color-coded for our convenience. The vast majority of them, in gold robes, are guest choirs, many from area schools. The center “tree,” with green-robed singers, is made up of Disney cast members from various areas of the company – not necessarily entertainment CM’s, either.

The CM at the top of the “tree” is wearing a pointed gold collar-like piece that extends far above his head. I think the intended effect is that he is a star or other Christmas tree-topper. I feel slightly guilty that all I can think of when I see him is Beldar Conehead.

The final group of singers are in black and red formal wear, and stand at the base of the tree. These are the Voices of Liberty, the outstanding a capella group that entertains crowds waiting to enter the American Adventure show.

Stationed directly in front of us, on stage left, is a gentleman in black interpreting the songs into sign language. I can already tell I am going to enjoy watching him. I have learned some ASL and have always loved the beauty of sign language, but it's more than that. This man is not just an interpreter, but a complete performer, embodying the spirit of the song as much as the words. His whole body is into it, and he never stops moving and communicating, even during instrumental-only portions of the program.

After the choir is in place, our celebrity narrator is introduced – Marlee Matlin, whom most people know from a variety of TV shows or movies dating back to her Academy Award-winning performance in Children of a Lesser God, but so help me all I can picture her as lately is the attorney Joy disparagingly calls her “deaf lawyer” from My Name Is Earl.

Now, I knew that Marlee was to be our narrator, but I didn’t know -- and am delighted to learn -- that she will be signing the narration, assisted by a reverse interpreter to “voice” her narration.

The program is an hour in length, and it is spellbinding. A variety of beautiful, joyful music, performed both well and full of emotion in a way that draws us into the celebration. And as a follower of Jesus I am overwhelmed that the music and narration is centered around a celebration of His birth, something that is becoming harder to find in public events.

In that same vein, I’ll admit that going into this I had a small fear that the production would be too “Disneyfied” in some manner, that it would come across cutesy or over-polished and not really heartfelt. I shouldn’t have worried. Everything is polished to perfection, but the focus of the entire production is a celebration of the Christmas story. Every facet of the show – vocals, instruments, lights, narration, interpretation, everything – is indeed masterfully done, but none of it detracts from the story.

The production has the audience on its feet in a standing ovation several times. I remember early on how to signal applause to a deaf person, twisting both hands above my head, to express my appreciation to Marlee Matlin, who is giving an impassioned performance. There are a couple dozen others in the crowd making the same sign.

At the end of the production, Marlee takes a moment to express her appreciation to the audience and – this being the last night – to the many of her friends and family members who are attending this very performance. She says that this is her seventh year to be a part of the Candlelight Processional, and it has become a highlight of her year.

After her final words, the orchestra begins again, and the choir members process out to another medley of carols. Wow, what an amazing production! As picky as I am when it comes to observing performances, I have one thought at the end of this show:

They got it right.


No comments: