Sunday, December 30, 2007

Epcot approach


At the TTC, we step out of the resort monorail and follow the marked path down the ramp from the resort loop platform to the Epcot monorail loading area. It’s not long before a train is approaching the station, though there is enough time for Brandon, Benjamin, and I each to trade pins with a friendly transportation CM. I acquire a nice pin showing Mickey and Goofy piloting a ferry to the Magic Kingdom.

Pin trading is still just a fun pastime for us when we’re in the World, not an obsession. After our first trip, Brandon & I stocked up on a lot of cheap (and frankly, not too appealing) pins on clearance at local Disney Stores. Then when we returned in 2005, we traded them for more attractive pins. Benjamin’s gotten in on the act since then, mostly collecting Stitch pins. I’ve taken to keeping my favorites on my lanyard, with extras in a pocket so I can give the CM a choice in which pin he or she receives in trade. It’s fun, not too expensive, and we get to bring back new bunch of pins to admire after every trip.

The monorail ride is thrilling. There’s always a bit of “reality disconnect” when I first arrive back at Walt Disney World. I’ve pictured these moments – getting to the resort, riding the monorail, going through the park gate – so many times in my daydreams, that when they finally happen it’s sometimes hard to believe. But… I think I’m grinning more than when I’m daydreaming. Must be real!

We approach Epcot. Ah, there’s the big white ball of Spaceship Earth. No more giant Mickey Wand towering over it. I never passionately hated the wand like some Disney purists, but I will admit that I like the globe better this way. Besides the fact that Epcot (then “Epcot Center”) was the first WDW park I visited, way back in 1986, and this is how I remember Spaceship Earth from my first impressions then, I think the big ball just looks more dignified and majestic when it’s not dwarfed by a cartoon arm.

The monorail completes its circle of Future World and enters the station. We follow the crowds down the ramp. As luck would have it, I’m the only one in my group not currently carrying a bag, so while the rest of the family heads for the bag check, I pass the security guard manning the “guests without bags” entrance and find a spot to wait for them.

Bag check looks crowded, but the guards are efficient, so all five make it through in a matter of minutes. As I mentioned earlier in the report, we realize that we’re here at one of the most crowded times of the year, at least for the first two or three days. Consequently, we’ve set ourselves up mentally not to expect to do too much, attraction-wise, on these first couple of days. If we get to, fine; if not, we’ll enjoy the decorations, the music, and just the fact that we are here! (And then ride what we can when the crowds decrease on Wednesday and Thursday!)

We pull out our KTTW cards and head for the park gate. This is always the final test to see if this is real… Yes! The little green light flashes when we insert the card! We can go in the park.

For the first time in over 33 months, we are inside a Disney theme park.

(And hey! For those of you following the trip report up until now, you will finally get to read about us actually being in a Disney theme park! Starting in the next installment, at least.)


No comments: