Sunday, December 30, 2007

Settling in


Brandon is the first at the ready with his Key to the World card and slides it into the door lock. Green light! I love it when that happens. We bid goodbye for the moment to Bob and Linda as they go into their room, and we enter ours.

I’d heard that the Polynesian Resort had been renovated in recent years. Not having stayed here before, I don’t have anything with which to compare it, but this room is very nice! Done up in warm woods and fabrics in shades of brown with island prints, it perfectly evokes the tropical theming while at the same time being sleek and modern.

Of course Benjamin is immediately drawn to the hi-def flat-screen TV, and the channel with the continuous “Top 7” tour of current Walt Disney World attractions is quickly found!

I get on the phone and call Bell Services. Our luggage arrives within five minutes, and Bob and the boys and I spend some time sorting out which piece goes with which room.

Once the bags have been delivered, I get to work unpacking. I’d resolved that on this trip I wasn’t going to live out of a suitcase, but would actually unpack and be like a semi-civilized person. So… I pull out our hanging clothes and hang them in the closets, then put a handful of my stuff into one of the drawers. And the rest… oh, well. Life’s too short to spend it unpacking.

It’s almost a quarter till eight now, and we’re meeting Bob and Linda for a light snack. I take a quick moment to call “Mousekeeping” for turn-down service and then we’re out the door, headed for Captain Cook’s Snack Company.

We walk about twenty feet, out an automatic door, across a pathway, and through another automatic door, and we’re in the Great Ceremonial House. We are that close. I love our rooms!

Captain Cook’s is a light, mostly self-serve restaurant on the first floor of the Great House. There are hot dishes, that you order using one of three touch-screen ordering stations, but none of us are hungry enough for one of the hot meals. Instead we peruse the baked goods and cold drinks and other light fare.

I spot the unlimited refill mugs, always a great souvenir, but even more worth the cost when I’m so close to Capt. Cook’s and its free refills! Unfortunately, there’s only a generic “Where Dreams Come True” design for the mug, not one specifically for the Polynesian. I ask the cashier nearby, and she confirms that there’s no resort mug. Bummer.

Brandon’s more thirsty than hungry, so he grabs an orange juice. The rest of us try something we’ve not had before – Dole whip! I’d heard of this soft-serve pineapple sorbet online, where Disney fans debated whether this or the Mickey bar is the better frozen treat, but I’d never had one. We’re given a bowl when we pay at the cashier and then go help ourselves. Bob, Linda & Becky share one bowl, while Benjamin & I share the other – and as I expect, Brandon joins in and has some as well. It’s delicious.

Okay, it’s 8:20. Becky and her parents want to hit the gift shop, as does Brandon, but I notice another option: there’s fireworks starting at 8:30 at the Magic Kingdom, and we could watch them from the beach right here at the Polynesian! I offer that option, and Benjamin is immediately on board! Brandon decides to come with Benjamin and me if we can come back by the gift shop later, while the others pass – they know this will be the same show that we see tomorrow night on our cruise.

Off to see some fireworks!

No comments: