Thursday, January 3, 2008

WDW in review


Leaving Walt Disney World may never be an entirely pleasant experience, but we depart we some wonderful new memories, and I have an hour-long bus ride to reflect on them. I sip my “free” Coke from my Year of a Million Dreams refillable mug and think over our past few days.

Attractions? We saw and did almost everything we wanted to, which is an amazing thing considering that we were here at the busiest time of the year. We saw new attractions (since our last trip) Soarin’, Expedition: Everest, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, and Finding Nemo: the Musical, as well as the many renovated rides like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and it’s a small world. We finally got on Big Thunder Mountain. The only new thing we wanted to get to but didn’t was the Lights Motors Action stunt show.

Crowds – were heavy, but we were psyched for that, so it didn’t seem like that big of a deal. And the numbers really dropped in the last couple of days, especially with the cold weather.

Speaking of weather, it was never a huge factor. It was slightly wet at times, cold and windy other times, but it never slowed us down or kept us from doing anything we wanted to do.

Physically, I’ve mentioned before, was much, much better than 2005, when I started developing blisters from day one. More importantly, I can tell that my practicing and singing with a top-quality chorus like the Vocal Majority has really increased my endurance for being on my feet. I’m sore and tired, but I was never in pain and was always able to get around and do all I wanted to.

The resort? Oh, man, the Polynesian was just incredible. I thought I loved the atmosphere of the Wilderness Lodge, where we stayed in 2003, but the Poly was just as immersive. The Beach Club in 2005 always felt like a hotel at Walt Disney World – a nice one, yes, but it didn’t really transport us to a different time and place like the Wilderness Lodge. But the Polynesian did – we felt like we stepped off of the bus (or boat or monorail) and were somehow magically whisked to a South Seas island. It was beautiful and oh so relaxing. And that pool!! (“There’s a restroom in our volcano, Cinderella’s in our pool…”!)

Extras? Well, the fireworks cruise was a big disappointment because of the scheduling mixup, but… honestly it turned out to be not too bad, especially since so many other things went so well. Our meals were extraordinary, and the Candlelight Processional was phenomenal. Apart from that one fireworks cruise glitch, almost everything went better than expected.

And the cast members this time… were absolutely amazing! We’ve never before had a Disney trip where we didn’t catch some CM’s with a less than friendly demeanor. We try not to fault them, since everyone has an off day sometimes, and odds are you’re going to have an occasional unfriendly CM. But not this trip! Each and every cast member we met was bright, cheerful, and pleasant to talk to – frankly, just the opposite of what I expected with the higher crowds. Add to this the chance to meet Zazu and the great time we had with Big Wallaby, and this trip was the best ever for cast member interaction.

All things considered, though, the most special thing about any trip is the time we have together as a family, and in this category as well, this trip has been wonderful. We’ve had so many great times with the six of us together! But what I will remember most, I think, is how Brandon and Benjamin and I were able to have some really fun times with just the three of us in the parks. No ride, no show, no character, can ever be as magical to me as the memories I created with my boys. All told, while we still never even saw the “Dream Squad,” we’ve had a million dreams come true already this week.

I close my eyes and mentally file my Walt Disney World memories away, to be pulled out and savored later, and turn my attention now to our current destination – the Disney Wonder!!

No comments: