Thursday, January 3, 2008

Rollin’, rollin’, rollin’


About twenty minutes into the bus ride, the driver rolls the cruise line’s video. It’s a lot like the Magical Express one, with the Disney characters playing the part of guests on vacation, but this time geared towards checking in at the port and enjoying life onboard the ship.

They use the same gag with Stitch checking in and using a “Wanted” poster as his i.d. It still makes me laugh.

For the most part, I just keep my eyes closed and try to nap a bit. There’s not a whole lot to look at on this trip, scenery-wise, and I can use the rest. I never fully sleep, but I come close to nodding off from time to time.

I do listen with one ear to the video, and open my eyes enough every now and then to keep track of where we are. I like to be awake when we first come in view of the port.

My get-alert time is when we encounter the signs directing traffic to turn off of our roadway to go to the Kennedy Space Center – the port is only a few minutes away then. We pass the exchange where 407 heads north to I-95, and I know we’re close. The video comes to an end. Just past State Highway 1, we cross the Indian River, and from its bridge we can see the Disney Wonder in the distance for the first time. Almost there!

Across the Banana River we go, and then we take the cloverleaf exit and turn toward the north, to make the winding loop that will take us past Disney’s terminal and then back to it, which has the nice effect of giving us an extended viewing of the ship as it sits in port, waiting for us!

Our driver announces that we have been cleared straight in to the terminal building! We pull in and park alongside the terminal and, as usual, we are instructed to wait in our seats until a cruise line rep tells us otherwise.

The cruise reps are waiting for the bus and climb on board immediately. They give us the short talk we’ve heard before, about going through security and then about who needs to check in upstairs (not us) and who can go straight onto the ship (us!), and then clear us to get off the bus.

We’re here!

No comments: