Friday, January 4, 2008

Cinema afloat


At around 2:30 Brandon goes back downstairs to change, and then at 2:45 I head down to the Buena Vista Theatre. Brandon, Benjamin, Bob, Linda, and I all arrive within minutes of each other.

The Disney Wonder is luxurious in almost every way, but the legroom in both here and the Walt Disney Theatre leaves a lot to be desired for a tall guy like me, and my knees will scream at me if I can’t stretch them out pretty often. At the Walt Disney Theatre, I’ve solved the problem by showing up early enough to get seats on the central walkway that crosses the theater. Here there is no such walkway. It looks like I’m in for an uncomfortable couple of hours here. Unless…

At the top of the theater are two relatively open areas with some folding chairs, the handicap-accessible seating. That’ll work, so long as no one else needs it. There’s plenty of room there for leg stretching – which, frankly, is not just a luxury for me. Our whole gang moves up there. Ahhh, much better. Certainly if anyone in a wheelchair or with a greater need of the seats comes along, we’ll gladly give up the space, but I’m very grateful for it if no one else needs it.

Becky pops in to say hi, while we wait. She enjoyed her nap, she says, but she’s still not interested in the movie. She has seen in the Navigator that Donald Duck will be appearing in the atrium. She’s going to take the boys’ shirts and try to get his duck-ograph.

Our short wait time here gives me more time to enjoy – and be impressed by – the Disney Wonder’s décor. As I’ve written before, the ship is beautiful and luxurious, and could hold its own in comparison with any first-class ocean liner. At the same time, the designers work in subtle but unmistakable Disney touches in just about every space – character profiles in the metalwork railings in the atrium, hidden Mickeys in the stained glass windows of Triton’s, Mickey-glove floor pointers at the elevator lobbies. Likewise here, in the Buena Vista Theatre, there are Mickey-shaped metal medallions at the intersections of the woodwork designs on the walls. Classy, and Disney, too.

Promptly at 3:15 – ship schedules are normally kept with strict punctuality – National Treasure 2 begins. While the whole premise of National Treasure and this sequel are fantastical and more than a little unbelievable, they are escapist fun; great “popcorn movies.” Mmm, popcorn. I don’t have any. No matter, since even 90 minutes later I’m still stuffed from lunch.

National Treasure 2 is much like its predecessor, impossible to take seriously but still fun. It dragged in a couple of places and could’ve stood some trimming, but all in all it was a good way to pass a couple of hours.

And no one else ever needs our seats –the other similar section stays empty, even – so I can stretch my legs out as much as I want.

No comments: