Friday, January 4, 2008

Cars and Coca-cola


Time to plan for our (casual) afternoon. National Treasure 2 is
showing at the Buena Vista Theatre on Deck 5 at 3:15. Becky’s not too interested in seeing it, but the rest of us are. It’s just been in theaters a couple of weeks, and we’ve held off on seeing it, knowing it would likely be showing onboard.

What to do before then? Brandon wants to swim again, and I note from the Navigator that Cars will be showing on the big outdoor “Arielvision” screen over the Goofy pool starting at 2:00. While we won’t have time for the entire movie, that sure sounds like a fun thing to experience. I don’t think I’ll swim, but it’ll be nice to sit on deck and watch.

Brandon leaves for the Suite to put on his swimsuit, and after a few more minutes lingering at table Becky, Benjamin and I leave for Deck 9. I’m not sure what Bob and Linda are going to do, but they say they’ll meet us at the Buena Vista Theater by 3:00 for the movie.

We get to the Goofy pool, but Brandon’s not there yet. There’s still a couple of minutes until Cars begins. Becky decides to go back to the Suite and rest a bit, taking advantage of the fact that we’re all out and about. I go to the drink station near the Mickey pool and get a cup of Coke, and then return to the Goofy pool area and find a table with a good view of the screen.

Brandon arrives and starts swimming, apparently without noticing me. No matter. The movie starts up, and I sit back and relax. It’s still cloudy and slightly cool, but I’m comfortable. I’m on deck on a cruise ship in the Bahamas, I’ve got a Coke, a comfortable chair, and Lightning McQueen on the big screen.

Life. Is. Good.

Brandon swims a bit, then gets out and spots me. He comes over to chat a bit, and then goes back to the pool. It must be fun to swim and watch the movie.

Benjamin stops by, as I knew he would – Cars being one of his favorite movies. He says he’s been to the Suite and reports that we have another delivery from the concierge staff: a two-level tray with six different kinds of cookies. Yum – except I have to admit I’m not salivating as much as I would if we’d gotten the same gift of cookies on shore. It's not that I'm unappreciative. It's just that, with all of the good food onboard, these gifts are almost... excess on top of excess.

Doesn’t mean I won’t eat any of them.

No comments: