Friday, January 4, 2008

At Nassau... but not into it?


The ship is arriving at Nassau. Watching this massive vessel dock so precisely is always amazing, especially considering that it pulls into the harbor, rotates in place 180 degrees, and then backs into the slip. This isn’t your father’s ocean liner.

Bob and Linda station themselves out on the veranda to watch the arrival dance. The ship docks without incident and the “When You Wish Upon a Star” horn sounds. We’re in Nassau!

Of course, will we get off in Nassau? We have on both of our previous trips. In 2003, we took a horse-drawn carriage tour around the main part of town and visited the Straw Market, and then in 2005, we took the hour-long walking tour of the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island. Both were memorable, but we may be content this time to stay on board and enjoy the ship. After all, everything going on here is already paid for!

Bob and Linda return from the veranda and, reflecting my current thoughts, announce that they might not get off the ship. The wind is blowing hard, Bob reports, so hard that when he looked down he saw a light pole – not a tree – swaying in the wind. Hmm. That pretty much cinches the decision for me!

Besides, there is absolutely nothing bad about staying here! Just staying in this Suite is magical, even if we never did anything else. I smile as I see Bob and Linda both succumb to the feeling themselves and start dancing together – with no music.

Shortly before 10:00 I rouse myself from my lethargy and go upstairs to Deck 9 and locate the Cove CafĂ©. I’ve never before been in here. Of course, it was the teen club when we first cruised, but now it’s an adults-only coffee bar. I’ve turned into a bit of a coffee snob, and I thought I’d give this a try. I order a Caffe Mocha and charge it on my KTTW card, then head back downstairs.

The coffee is okay, but I like my own homemade concoction better.

After I return to the Suite and settle in to watch some of Lilo and Stitch, there is a knock at the door. It’s one of the housekeeping staff, come to restock our bottled Evian.

I really could get used to this life.

Over the next hour, Brandon and Benjamin pop in and out of the Suite. They see several characters and are as excited as… well, kids. At one point Benjamin was on his own and gets off an elevator to find Goofy waiting for it! Goofy ruffles Benjamin’s hair as they pass each other. Life on a Disney ship truly is like nothing else.

No comments: