Saturday, January 5, 2008

Serenity Bay


When we get off of the tram at the north end of the runway, we are steps from the entrance to Serenity Bay. To our left is the Castaway Air Bar, to the right a path leading to the open-air massage cabanas and further east, for adventurous cruisers to explore the island. We walk up and over a slight rise, onto the sand of Serenity Bay Beach.

There’s almost nobody here.

Seriously, I thought it was relatively quiet today on the family beach, but this is actually quiet. The umbrella-covered beach chairs stretching down the shore are almost completely unoccupied. There’s nothing to hear but the sound of the water and the breeze.

How best to describe it? Oh, yeah. Duh. Serene. This place is very aptly named.

Linda stretches out in a hammock while Bob and I walk down to the water. Yep, it’s cold here too.

I snap a few pictures so the kids can see what the place looks like. I remember being that age, thinking that any place labeled “adults only” must just be hopping with fun and possibly scandalous activity – otherwise, why wouldn’t they let us kids go there?

We spend our time here relaxing. I don’t see any particular need to explore much further – the view down the beach is unobstructed – so I find a lounge chair and park myself.

Linda gets up from the hammock before too long, and joins Bob at the water’s edge. He takes a few pictures of her, and then a crew member comes along and takes pictures of both of them. I just lounge away, amusing myself by taking pictures of the crew member taking pictures of them.

Okay, there’s only so much serenity I can take. We’ve been here maybe 15 minutes, but we’re all about ready to head back. We walk over to the tram stop, noting along the way that the Air Bar is getting ready to start serving lunch.

The tram’s not waiting with we get to the stop, so we sit on the benches to wait. There’s a gaggle of teens on bicycles gathered at the end of the runway. This must be the “Wild Side” teen-only adventure tour. That sounds like it would be a lot of fun – if I were a teenager. If God had intended for me to ride a bike around the island at age 43, he wouldn’t have invented trams.

No comments: